Buffalo Mountain Food Co-op is a retail food cooperative of 1800 members and sales of just over $2 million. We are looking for a General Manager to help us grow into our next phase of our business. The job of the general manager is to lead the co-operative so that it achieves the goals and objectives developed by the Board of Directors to make the Co-op an inclusive, active community institution for all. Located in the rural town of Hardwick in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, we are one of the anchor businesses in our village. Started in 1975, we have been the foundation for the local food movement in our area. We have operated with a collective management structure but with our size and competition we now need solid leadership and business skills to achieve our cooperative goals. Are you that person?
- Establishing organizational goals (including store sales goals), performance objectives, guidelines and best practices that are based on Board Policy and strive towards achieving them.
- Oversee all store operations based on the goals, objectives, and standards of the organization. Maintain a viable Co-op store within a highly competitive and challenging marketplace.
- Oversee, assist, and supervise staff.
- Develop a budget, direct all financial operations, and report to board on financial performance.
- Implement a margin strategy with a goal of being price competitive while maintaining sufficient net income to support liveable wages.
- Ensure a welcoming and well-maintained store environment for customers and staff.
- 2 – 5 years experience managing a cooperative, natural foods store, or similar business environment.
- Knowledge of strategic planning, budgeting, pricing, margins, and product merchandising.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors under policy governance.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team through effective situational leadership.
- Personal and professional values that align with the cooperative principles and values.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency using QuickBooks, Excel, Word, Windows, and a POS system.
- Knowledge of the natural food industry, current trends in natural food co-ops, and local food systems.
This is a full-time position. Interested candidates should send resumes to email@example.com .